Methodist Home for Children of Greater New Orleans
Prior to hurricane Katrina, Methodist Home for Children of New Orleans was a separate, sister agency of Louisiana Methodist Children’s Home. Methodist Home for Children was established in New Orleans in 1886 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as the Methodist Home Hospital and originally provided care for unwed mothers and served as an adoption agency. By the time Katrina came ashore, Methodist Home for Children of New Orleans already had a long history of providing residential care to children removed from their families because of child abuse or neglect.
The children and staff of Methodist Home for Children of New Orleans evacuated their facilities on Washington Street before Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans. They fled to Louisiana Methodist Children’s Home’s campus in Ruston where they remained for six months before returning to New Orleans.
Just as trauma pushes individuals to change, the consequences of Katrina brought significant change for Methodist Home for Children of New Orleans. Following Katrina, the New Orleans agency became part of the larger Louisiana United Methodist Children and Family Services. We were very fortunate to find open arms in Mandeville, on the campus of Southeast Louisiana Hospital where we leased space as we planned a permanent location. We are now in the fourth year of a ten year lease.
We also invite you to view photos of some of our other facilities in Louisiana: Louisiana Methodist Children's Home in Ruston, Methodist Children's Home of Southwest Louisiana in Sulphur, and our 800-acre Outdoor Wilderness Learning Center in north Louisiana.